G.A.R. Posts in Richmond County
- # 71 - New Brighton - Post active during 1872.
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw , 54th Mass. Infantry. Shaw was
a private in the 7th NYNG in 1861, then a Lt. in the 2d Mass. Inf.; ADC to
Gen. George H. Gordon; appointed Colonel of the 54th Mass. April 17, 1863; KIA
July 18, 1863 in the charge on Battery Wagner, Charleston, SC; parents
maintained a home on Staten Island, Francis G. Shaw moved his family there in
order to be near his wife's NYC eye specialist, settling in West New Brighton;
there are Shaw memorial stones in a Staten Island cemetery.
- # 88 - Tompkinsville - Post chartered Aug. 15, 1873, disbanded in
Brigadier General Thomas Francis Meagher.
Born in 1823 in Ireland and transported to Australia for his participation in
the 1848 uprisings; Irish National arranged his escape to America; "Meagher of
the Sword;" major in 69th NYSM; raised the Irish Brigade; lost in Missouri
River in 1867.
- # 112 - New Brighton - Chartered Sept. 23, 1879.
Gould Shaw. See Post #71.
- # 163 - Tottenville - Chartered April 22, 1880.
- # 524 - Port Richmond - Post chartered Nov. 22, 1884.
Maintained by Sue Greenhagen.
updated 3 October 2000