History and geography
Sailor's Snug Harbor
Vitals Info: B, M, D
Staten Island Historical Society
441 Clarke Avenue
Staten Island 10306-1198
(718) 351-1611 (Society)
(718) 351-1617 (Museum)
(718) 351-6057 (FAX)
If you call the society number, and press extension 299, you will reach Carlotta or her machine.
Carlotta is very helpful and is there two days a week (Mon, Tue) or one day during the summer.
You must make an appointment in advance.
The SIHS maintains records generally from the Colonial period, whereas the SIIAS generally maintains records
for the post-Colonial period.
- WPA index cards index names from deed libers. The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints has microfilmed these cards; but you can see the originals here.
- Vosburgh Church Indexes contains copies of church records and tombstone
inscriptions, copied from a dozen churches (not Catholic) around Staten Island in
- Correspondence from other researchers.
- Directories back to 1883/4. There were two or three a decade, until phone
books came out annually. The collection is current, spanning over a hundred years.
- Real Estate and Insurance Maps and Atlases from years such as 1874, 1887, 1898,
- Geographical Location Photos organized by town, then street.
- Free regular admission to Historic Richmond Town
- Free admission to Old Home Day & Civil War Weekend
- Discounts on Museum Ship purchases
- Reduced fees for classes, workshops, & trips
- Subscription to calendars, newsletters, & semi-annual Staten Island Historian
- 10% discount in Parsonage Restaurant
|Sponsor||$75||All above benefits plus a special member's "Thank-you" gift|
|Contributing||$100||All above benefits plus lunch for two at Historic Richmond Town|
|Patron||$500||All above benefits plus dinner for two at Historic Richmond Town|
|Benefactor||$1000 or more||All above benefits plus a hand-crafted reproduction early 19th century tin sconce|
If you'd like more information on the Library, call Monday or Tuesday (718) 351-1611 ext. 299.
Thanks to Bob O'Connor for a lot of this information.