NY Richmond Plate Staten Island, Richmond County, NY Genealogical Resources US Genweb Project New York Gen Web

Bible Records
Books/Lookups
Cemeteries
Census/Directories
Churches
FHL Holdings
Forums
Genealogies
History and geography
Immigration
Legal records
Message Boards
Military
Newspapers
Obituaries
Organizations
Photo tour
Sailor's Snug Harbor
Schools
Search
Site Info
Site map
Slaves
Surnames
Vitals Info: B, M, D

Genealogical Resources for Staten Island
Churches and Temples

Church Notes

  • Reformed Dutch Church
  • The Rev. Wilhelmus Jackson studied in Holland four years, and on returning to America was licensed in 1757 to preach, and was pastor of the Reformed Dutch churches of Bergen and Staten Island, 1757-1789. He died in 1813. He was noted as a powerful preacher, with a far-reaching voice, rivaling Whitefield as an open-air speaker.
    from New Jersey Biographical Sketches, 1665-1800
    Description:
    One of the geographically smallest states in the Union, New Jersey was home to over 200,000 people in 1800. Originally published in 1916, this database is a collection of biographical sketches for prominent residents of the state between 1665 and 1800. It provides a variety of information, including residence, date and place of birth, names of children, value of estate, and important professional and personal accomplishments. Of particular interest, it provides genealogically helpful information regarding spouse, children, and ancestors. It contains information regarding nearly 7500 persons. For researchers of New Jersey ancestors, this can be a valuable source of information.
    Extended Description:
    Source Information:
    New Jersey Historical Society. New Jersey Biographical and Genealogical Notes from the Volumes of the New Jersey Archives. Trenton, NJ: New Jersey Historical Society, 1916.

  • Jewish
    • B'nai Jeshurun In 1884 Congregation B'nai Jeshurun, the Island's first Jewish congregation, is founded in Tompkinsville. After meeting without a formal synagogue for about seven years, the congregation moves into a building on what is now Victory Boulevard. In the 1970s, the congregation moves to its current location on Martling Avenue in West Brighton.
  • Roman Catholic
  • Churches and their founding

    from WPA's Inventory of the Church Archives in New York City — The Roman Catholic Church — Archdiocese of New York — vol. 2.' (Historical Records Survey), 1941 as found at nycnuts.net http://nycnuts.net/genealogy/church/wpa_roman_catholic/index.html

    YearNameLocation
    1839St Peter'sNew Brighton
    1852St Mary'sRosebank
    1855St Joseph'sRossville
    1862St Patrick'sRichmond
    1875Sacred HeartWest New Brighton
    1877St Mary of the AssumptionPort Richmond
    1887Immaculate ConceptionStapleton
    1898Our Lady Help of ChristiansTottenville
    1899Our Lady of Good CounselTompkinsville
    1900St John Baptist de la SalleStapleton
    1901St Adalbert'sPort Richmond
    1902St Joseph'sRosebank
    1908St Anthony'sTravis
    1910St Clement'sMariner's Harbor
    1910Blessed SacramentWest New Brighton
    1913Our Lady of Mt CarmelWest New Brighton
    1914St Ann'sDongan Hills
    1921St Sylvester'sConcord
    1921St Rita'sPort Richmond
    1921AssumptionNew Brighton
    1922St Roch'sPort Richmond
    1923St Michael'sMariner's Harbor
    1922Our Lady Queen of PeaceNew Dorp
    1923St Stanislaus Kostka'sNew Brighton
    1923Our Lady of PityGraniteville
    1924St Clare'sGreat Kills
    1925St Benedicta'sWest New Brighton
    1926St Teresa'sWest New Brighton
    1926St Paul'sNew Brighton
    1926St Margaret Mary'sMidland Beach
    1926St Christopher'sGrant City
    1927Holy RosarySouth Beach
    1928Christ the KingPort Richmond
    1935Our Lady Star of the SeaHuguenot Park

    • Inventory of Roman Catholic Church Records for Bronx, New York & Richmond Counties WPA Historical Record Survey at NYCnuts.net
    • Bill has researched all the R.C. churches in Staten Island; gotten contact information and founding date. Staten Island Catholic Churches.
    • Sacred Heart Church was founded in 1875. Margaret Mullen typed up its Golden Jubilee program.
    • St. Peter's: In 1839 The Island's first Catholic parish, St. Peter's, is established in New Brighton, 50 years after the Roman Catholic Church is incorporated in the City of New York. The parish includes all of Richmond County and parts of New Jersey. The church building, dedicated 10 years after, is later destroyed by fire. The present St. Peter's Church is erected in 1903.
    • St. Paul's R.C. Church in New Brighton: Staten Island Advance Article "St. Paul's had its start as a mission of the Island's oldest Roman Catholic parish, St. Peter's R.C. Church in New Brighton." Founded 1924.
    • St. Mary's See below and it's been said:

      It is a beautiful church. It is a shame that they are not more cooperative.

      They will tell you that most of the old records were destroyed in a water damage, but, the original "big old book" survives. It lists per alphabet, per family name, per person.

      St. Michael's in Mariners Harbor started keeping records in 1905 on. I have found that some of my St. Mary's parishioners married in St. Michael's. They are very helpful and will look up records for you via telephone.

    • St Peter's

    CLIFTON

    Illustrated sketch book of Staten Island, New York : its industries and commerce 1886, page 137-8

    ST. MARY'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

    This parish and congregation was organized by Archbishop HUGHES in October. 1852, and Rev. J. LEWIS was appointed the pastor. Immediately after his appointment, Father LEWIS erected a temporary chapel and schools at a cost of about $6,000 which were used for five years.

    In 1857, Archbishop HUGHES laid the corner stone of St. Mary's church on New York avenue, and the edifice was completed for "http://richmond.nygenweb.net/ year at a cost of $58,000. it is the finest Catholic church on Staten Island. In 1858 and 1859 the rectory adjoining the church was built, costing $10,000.

    Father LEWIS in 1862 purchased seven acres of land of the PARKINSON estate in Southfield, and laid it out as a cemetery. He also build upon it a neat cottage for the keeper's residence.

    In 1864 an ORPHAN ASYLUM for the parish, a residence for the Sisters of Charity, a large school and a dwelling for the male teachers were built at a cost of about $36,000.

    These schools are of the largest on the Island. The books show a daily attendance of nearly four hundred pupils who are gratuitously instructed by six Sisters of Charity, under the supervision of the pastor.

  • Methodist and Episcopal Church
  • Methodist

    Churches and their founding

    from WPA's Inventory of the Church Archive of New York City — The Methodist. ' (Historical Records Survey), 1940 as found at nycnuts.net http://nycnuts.net/genealogy/church/wpa_methodist/index.html

    YearNameLocation
    1787WoodrowPrinces Bay
    Records
    1803AsburyNew Springfield
    1822Bethel MissionTottenville; to 1849
    1835KingsleyStapleton
    1839Mariners Harbor MissionMariners Harbor; to 1849
    1839TrinityWest New Brighton
    1840Quarantine Mission?; discontinued
    1842DickensonTravisville
    1849BethelTottenville
    1849SummerfieldMariners Harbor
    1854St John's MissionRossville; to 1876
    1854St Mark's MissionPleasant Plains, Westfield; to 1873
    1857St Paul's MissionTottenville; to 1859
    1859St Paul'sTottenville
    1860AndrovattKreischerville; discontinued
    1867GracePort Richmond
    1873St Mark'sTottenville
    1875Mt ZionRossville; to 1877
    1876GiffordsGiffords Station; to 1877
    1876St John'sRossville; discontinued
    1877Mt Zion MissionRossville; to 1889
    1884BloomfieldBloomfield; to 1927
    1889Mt ZionRossville
    1900Wandell MemorialConcord; to 1921
    1903St JamesRosebank; to 1910
    1908GranitevillePort Richmond
    1910St James' MissionRosebank; to 1924
    1919Holy Trinity Italian MissionMariners Harbor; to 1922
    1922Holy Trinity ItalianGraniteville
    ?St. Luke's Protestant EpiscopalRossville
    Records

    Protestant Episcopal

    Churches and their founding

    from WPA's Inventory of the Church Archives of New York City — Protestant Episcopal Church — Diocese of New York, volume II. ' (Historical Records Survey), 1940 as found at nycnuts.net http://nycnuts.net/genealogy/church/wpa_episcopal/index.html

    YearNameLocation
    1708St Andrew'sRichmond
    Additional notes: Rev. John Talbot sent 1702, succeeded by Rev. Aeneas Mackensie.
    Records
    1802Trinity ChapelWest New Brighton to 1866
    1833St Paul's Memorial originally St Paul's, CastletonTompkinsville
    1843St John'sRosebank
    1843St Luke'sRossville
    Records
    1849ChristNew Brighton
    1849St MaryWest New Brighton
    1854St Simon's MissionRichmond
    1855St Simon's ChapelConcord
    1856Advent ChapelCastleton
    1865Holy ComforterEltingville was Southfield
    1865Holy Comforter in SouthfieldSouthfield
    1869AscensionWest New Brighton
    1872St Luke's Missionvarious; to 1887
    1884Mercer Memorial ChapelRichmond
    1887St Stephen'sTottenville
    1891Chapel of Our FatherWest New Brighton
    1893Grace ChapelGarrettson; to 1902
    1893Prince's Bay MissionPrince's Bay; to 1897
    1899TrinityNew Dorp
    1906All Saints' chapel of Our atherMariner's Harbor
    1906Old Mill Road MissionNew Dorp Beach
    1907Linoleumville MissionLinoleumville
    1912Holy RedeemerPort Richmond
    1913St Luke the PhysicianWillowbrook
    1925St Ann'sGreat Kills

  • Moravian Church: Founded in Staten Island with New Dorp Moravian in 1763. The Moravian Church.
  • Ancestral Curios Vital Statistics. He says he has:

    • Port Richmond, S.I. baptisms 1696-1790
    • Moravian Church, S.I. marriages 1764-1863
    among many other non-SI.

    • New Dorp Services on SI began about 1742. Property was purchased in 1763 to build their first church (in now New Dorp).
    • NEW! Moravian Marriages 1764-1863
    • Second church was Castleton Hill founded 1873.
    • Great Kills started 1886.
    • Vanderbilt Avenue Moravian Church: Founded in 1884 on Cedar Street. Initially German. Moved to Osgood Avenue 1889. Rev. E. S. Hagen installed as pastor Dec 29 1889. Moved from Osgood Avenue to Vanderbilt Avenue in 1927. Vanderbilt family worshipped here.
  • Presbyterian
  • Churches and their founding

    from WPA's Inventory of the Church Archive in New York City — Presbyterian Church in the United States of America. ' (Historical Records Survey), 1940 as found at nycnuts.net http://nycnuts.net/genealogy/church/wpa_presbyterian/index.html (archive)

    YearNameLocation
    1727English of Staten IslandStony Brook; to about 1776
    1856First of Staten Island; originally First of Clifton, Staten Island then First of EdgewaterStapleton
    1872Calvary of Staten IslandWest New Brighton
    1887First of New BrightonNew Brighton
    1911Calvary ChapelWest New Brighton
    1925Rosebank Mission also Our SaviorRosebank

  • Lutheran
  • Churches and their founding

    from WPA's "Inventory of the Church Archive in New York City — Lutherans" (Historical Records Survey, 1940) page 143 as found at nycnuts.net Lutheran

    YearNameLocation
    1852St. John'sPort Richmond
    1856TrinityStapleton Notes
    1883Wagner Memorial CollegeRochester NY
    1886Bethlehem Orphan and Half Orphan HomeFort Wadsworth
    1892Our SaviorWest New Brighton
    1894ZionPort Richmond
    1898St. Paul'sWest New Brighton
    1905WasaPort Richmond
    1911ImmanuelNew Springville
    1915St. Matthew'sDongan Hills
    1916Eger Norwegian Lutheran Home for the AgedNew Dorp
    1918Wagner Memorial College (present site)Grymes Hill
    1920EltingvilleEltingville
    1923MessiahAnnadale
    1925ChristGreat Kills
    1927Norwegian Evangelical FreeWesterleigh
    1934Lutheran Welfare SocietyStapleton

    Notes on Trinity
    • Trinity Lutheran Church, est. 1856, f.k.a The German Evangelical Church, in Stapleton, Staten Island, (Thanks to Andrew Schmitt for this info) is described in Staten Island And Its People, Volume I, page 490 (by Leng, Charles W. and Davis, William T., 1929) as follows:
    • "The German Evangelical Church at Stapleton was incorporated February 17, 1857; the trustees were: Andrew Wohlrabe, Ernest F. Kortum, and Henry Uhrsbrach. Pastor Christian Hennicke had, during 1856, succeeded in organizing a congregation and was the first pastor. Services were suspended from October, 1867, to January 30, 1859, when Pastor K. Goehrling accepted a call and remained until October, 1869. In 1862 the board of trustees was reorganized with P. W. Caesar, Louis De Jonge, Julius De Jonge, D. Bauer, Carl Franke, F. Lenting, William Houff, C. Winzer, and Mr. Uhrsbrach. On February 5, 1865, Mr. De Jonge reported the acquisition, in part by the gift of Albin Warth, of land on which to build a church. The pastors have been:

      • Pastor Robert Karl Beer, 1869 to 1870.
      • Pastor E. Hering, 1871 to 1875.
      • Pastor A. Kuehne, 1875 to 1895.
      • Pastor A. Krause, 1895 to 1907.
      • Pastor F. Sutter, 1907 to date.
      [-to date = 1929. As per J Far, jtfa at mac dot com, Pastor Sutter's son took over after he passed away in the 1970s or 1980s.]

      Among the family names connected with this church have been Lindemann, Meurer, Zentgraff, Siemer, Bardes, Stake, Schaefer, Wedemeyer, Wolf, Francke, Hagedorn, Herpich, Horrmann, Matthius, Schmidt, Zorn, Pape, Schaible and many more.

      The growth of this church under the ministry of Pastor Frederic Sutter since 1907 has been remarkable; it is said to have 3,000 baptized members and 1,100 communing members, perhaps the largest Protestant membership on Staten Island. The present edifice, an imposing Gothic structure of yellow brick on Beach Street, was dedicated in 1914. The parish house contains classrooms, auditorium, gymnasium, bowling alleys, etc., virtually a community house for the members of the church. The parsonage, built in 1922, brings the value of the church property close to $300,000.

      Among Pastor Sutter's aids in this great church, which is soon to change its name to Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, are H. Fry, Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Meurer, Mr. and Mrs. John Hagen, Carl Lorey, Charles Schaeffer, Dr. Fred Bock, and C. C. Stoughton."

      N.B.: 1. In line 5, "were suspended from October, 1867, to January 30, 1859," is how this appears in the book.
      2. Pastor Sutter is listed as being the Pastor from 1907 to date --take into account that this was printed in 1929.

      Some of its records are transcribed at Kirchenbuch/. Kirchenbuch is the German word for church book. Church books, or Kirchenbücher, are a Church's register of births, communions, confirmations, marriages, and deaths.

      More on Trinity from J Far, jtfa at mac.com (email bounced):

      Trinity Lutheran Church
      Fredrick Sutter
      Carl Sutter - 64
      Pastor Tom Mugavero 79
      Richard Michael 2001
      Trinity was founded in October of 1856 by a group of German immigrants that felt a church was needed in the Stapleton area of Staten Island to serve their needs. The congregation met in Kingsley Methodist Church, located nearby on Cebra Avenue for eight years. In February of 1865 the congregation acquired four building lots at the corner of Beach Street and, what is now, St. Paul’s Avenue. Shortly thereafter the Unitarian Church building on Richmond Turnpike was purchased and moved to the lots owned by the congregation. That building, pictured here, served the needs of Trinity until 1913.

      In 1907, Trinity called as its pastor The Reverend Dr. Frederic Sutter. Shortly after the arrival of Pastor Sutter the church felt a need for a new church building. The new, and present, structure was commenced in 1913 and dedicated the "http://richmond.nygenweb.net/ year. The gothic structure features a number of interesting appointments. There are gargoyles near the top of the tower. The large stained glass windows in the sanctuary were made in Munich, Germany, by the Mayer Company. The Ascension painting over the altar, was done by a young French painter who painted it at the nearby German Club because that structure had the highest ceiling on Staten Island. Added in 1954 was the 53 rank organ manufactured by the firm of Cassavant Freres, Vancouver, BC.

      Pastor Frederic Sutter was succeeded by his son, Carl, in 1964. One of Pastor Carl’s earliest and most important accomplishments was the completion of the new building for Trinity Lutheran School in 1964. Serving more than 200 students, Trinity Lutheran School not only serves children of the congregation, but of the entire community. The School has become a significant legacy of Pastor Carl and his commitment to Stapleton.

      No longer a neighborhood of all German immigrants working in the local breweries, Stapleton became a home for people from all over the world and from all walks of life. The Reverend Dr. Thomas F. Mugavero, who was called to Trinity in 1979, led the congregation as it followed these changes and continued to welcome all. As it was when it was founded, Trinity today is a mirror of the community in which it resides - descendants of those same immigrants who founded the church, political and religious refugees from Liberia and other African countries, Native American, and more, all take an active part in and enrich the ongoing ministry of Trinity.

      These few paragraphs tell something of the history of the church, but is hardly the true history of the congregation. It says nothing of the outreach to the community through the church’s soup kitchen, emergency food shelf, and participation in community organizations. Nor does it speak of the wonderful tradition of liturgy and music of the church, led in worship by its various choirs. These things are a part of the past, present and future - the living History and Records and mission of the congregation of Trinity Lutheran Church. Trinity has again, for only the fourth time in 100 years, chosen a new Pastor - The Reverend Richard F. Michael. Pastor Michael began his service at Trinity in February of 2001 and leads us into the 21st century as a growing, thriving, almost 150 year old, diverse part of the family of God. Come experience our history and experience the ministry of Trinity - Where God’s grace is shared.


      Churches in 1875

      Source: 1875 State Census

      Town

      ED

      Church Name

      Denomination

      Castleton

      1

      [the suppl. schedules were not filmed]

       

      Castleton

      2

      Christ Church

      Episcopal

      Castleton

      2

      Unitarian Church

      Unitarian

      Castleton

      2

      Harbor Church

      Methodist

      Castleton

      3

      Saint Marys Castleton Av

      P.E.

      Castleton

      3

      Calvary Bement & Castleton Aves

      Presbyterian

      Castleton

      3

      Mission Chapel

      Moravian

      Castleton

      4

      St. Andrews Episcopal Church

      [none listed - assume Episcopal]

      Castleton

      4

      Trinity

      Methodist Episcopal

      Castleton

      4

      St. Peters

      Roman Catholic

      Middletown

      1

      St. Pauls Memorial Church

      P.E.

      Middletown

      1

      German Lutheran Church

      Lutheran

      Middletown

      2

      Free Church

      M.E.

      Middletown

      3

      United Bretherens Church

      United Bretheren

      Middletown

      4

      1st Presbyterian Church of Edgewater

      Presbyterian

      Northfield

      1

      Park[?] Baptist

      Baptist

      Northfield

      1

      1st Bobless[?]

      Baptist

      Northfield

      1

      Grace

      Methodist Episcopal

      Northfield

      1

      St. John

      Evangelical Lutheran

      Northfield

      2

      Church of St. Andrew

      P.E.

      Northfield

      2

      Asbury M.E. Church

      Methodist Episcopal

      Northfield

      2

      Travisville Chapel

      Methodist Episcopal

      Northfield

      3

      Summerfield M.E. Church

      Methodist Episcopal

      Northfield

      3

      Mariners Harbor Baptist Church

      Baptist

      Northfield

      3

      AME Zion Church

      Methodist Episcopal

      Northfield

      4

      Reformed Church (US)

      Reformed Church

      Northfield

      4

      St. Marys Roman Catholic Church

      Roman Catholic

      Southfield

      1

      Reformed P.[?] Richmond

      Reformed Dutch

      Southfield

      1

      Church of the Holy Comforter

      P.E.

      Southfield

      1

      [no name]

      Roman Catholic

      Southfield

      2

      St. Marys

      Roman Catholic

      Southfield

      2

      [illegible - possibly Presbyterian]

      Roman Catholic

      Westfield

      1

      St. Pauls M.E.

      Methodist

      Westfield

      1

      Bethel M.E.

      Methodist

      Westfield

      1

      First Baptist

      Baptist

      Westfield

      2

      St. Marks

      Methodist Episcopal

      Westfield

      2

      African M.E.

      Methodist Episcopal

      Westfield

      2

      Woodrow

      Methodist Episcopal

      Westfield

      2

      St. Josephs

      Roman Catholic

      Westfield

      2

      St. Lukes

      _?_ Episcopal

      Westfield

      3

      [none listed]

       
      Mary the Immaculate Virgin???

© 1999-2021 Updated on Sunday, 01-Aug-2021 18:46:54 PDT